bob

primer seating blowing out rim

Machine ran OK yesterday.

Today.   Power on system; clear shellplate; calibrate; hit RUN

Station 2 is trying to seat the primer to absolutely max, and just blows the rim off the case.  This has never happened before.

Stop. Clear the mess. Empty the shellplate.  Calibrate (again).  Confirm primer depth unchanged.

Run.

Again with the max depth primer and destroying the case rim!

Clear the shellplate. Calibrate. Set primer depth to 45 (from 15), to see if that changed anything.

Run.

cartridge case rims pulled off.

XL 650, 9mm

Anyone have a thought on what to try?

@bob Thank you for your question! When you calibrate the machine make sure your shell plate is always empty. If you calibrate with cases in the shell plate you will create a "false" bottom and that change/shorten your total stroke length. Also make sure you don't have any dies or accessories set too low in the toolhead. 

To really know if you have a shorted stroke put the autodrive in neutral by pressing the stop sign on the tablet and then hitting neutral (tap it on the pop-up a few times) to disengage the motor and put a 11/16" wrench on the shaft protrusion to feel the full stroke length. When you calibrate the crank should go all the way to the upper stop bar and all the way down to the baseplate cut out. Then after you calibrate the motor will back it off a bit to avoid any damage.

As you were doing see attached article to adjust the bottom trim/primer depth you do a full shut down and fresh calibration with an empty shellplate. If you have an older model 650 you may want to contact Dillion for the newer punch model so you don't have to make this adjustment so severe. As you adjust this setting from 0-50 you will back off the primer punch so you don't seat the primers too high.

Thank you,

Misty

M 7 Support

Adjusting Primer depth on the Mark 7® 650 Pro Autodrive.pdf

Misty,

Calibration was done without any shells.

Manually running the 650 to full top is fine.  Fully to the bottom results in the primer seat projecting ABOVE the top of the shell plate.  It projects this high every calibration cycle, but never after that.  - except for this mishap.

I did get it working by powering off everything for ~15 sec and powering it on again and doing the calibrate.  It then started working normally.

It's a bug of some kind, and please file it as such.  It was reproducible until a complete reboot.

Thx

Bob

@bob Thank you for taking the time to write back on results. Not sure why the unit needed powering off to calibrate properly, but please let us know if this happens again or you notice future issues. This could be an issue with the a cable or connection somewhere.

Thank you,

Misty 
M7 Support

Sorry for the Necro Bump in this thread... but I am having something along the lines of this issue. I've been able to get it to not tear up the brass rim but its still IMO seating too low.

650 with autodrive... Settings are Clutch at 4 and torq at 1 -- Primer seating depth at 30! I have powered everything off and on and re-calibrated MANY times. 

What changed? I replaced my shell plate thats it. put everything back together and gasped when it popped the cartridge outta there the first time. Half expecting the primer to detonate. ANY help or pointers would be appreciative.

20200716_184118[1].jpg

20200716_185016[1].jpg

12 hours ago, spdsk8n said:

Sorry for the Necro Bump in this thread... but I am having something along the lines of this issue. I've been able to get it to not tear up the brass rim but its still IMO seating too low.

650 with autodrive... Settings are Clutch at 4 and torq at 1 -- Primer seating depth at 30! I have powered everything off and on and re-calibrated MANY times. 

What changed? I replaced my shell plate thats it. put everything back together and gasped when it popped the cartridge outta there the first time. Half expecting the primer to detonate. ANY help or pointers would be appreciative.

20200716_184118[1].jpg

20200716_185016[1].jpg

Hello its okay, were here to help. We can check a few things.

1. Is the crank hitting the stop bar on the up stroke? It should only hit the stop bar during calibration and then the motor backs it off during the run cycle. If you notice the crank hitting the upper stop bar please contact support ia phone for an electronics repair 888-462-7577.

2. Do you have the new or old style punch spring. I recommend upgrading to the new version then you wouldn't need to back off the primer seating depth so far.

3. What software version on you on? You can find this information on the warning screen just below the accept/deny buttons. The latest version is 2.11. Please make sure you are running the latest software. Please visit www.markvii-loading.com under the support tab and select software updates.

Thank you,

Misty 

M7 Support

Adjusting Primer depth on the Mark 7® 650 Pro Autodrive.pdf